THE IMMORTAL GIANT LIBERTARIAN JURIST OF ALL TIME

THE IMMORTAL GIANT 
LIBERTARIAN JURIST 
OF ALL TIME




The physical death of former Supreme Court Justice Isagani Cruz, who is to me the best libertarian, the most erudite jurist, and the sui generis in Constitutional law, will never kill the name of this legend.

I am sure that even a thousand years later his name will still be there etched in all law books of the future.

To me, the many decisions he penned are one of the best written legal literature of all time.

He is one of my inspirations when I was in law school. He has been one of my inspirations. He will always be one of my inspirations.

I have never been his student at the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila-College of Law.  But he has always been one of my best teachers through the decisions I have read.

I cannot forget his wisdom in what I call the "carabao case," where he nullified the Marcos law that banned transporting of carabaos from one province to another upon the reason that it cannot achieve the purpose of the law to preserve this beast of burden simply because butchering them first before transporting will defeat that end.

I cannot forget also the first line he wrote, "The issue here is mediocrity," when he justified the constitutionality of the law that requires admission to medical schools by passing first the National Medical Admission Test (NMAT) in the case DECS vs Sandiego.  Then he wrote, in gist, that those who failed the exams can still go into plumbing, tailoring, or other professions. He said that NMAT is reasonable for the State to require because the lives are at stake when patients are held under the proverbial doctor's knife.

Dust thou art to dust returnest, was not spoken of his soul!

I salute you, JUSTICE ISAGANI CRUZ!

Read related article at this link: "Ex-SC Justice Isagani A. Cruz passes away"

Comments